Checklist for Long Distance Motorcycle Rides
Traveling long distance on a bike is something that many motorcycle owners dream of. Sightseeing takes on a whole new meaning as you travel the open roads atop your motorcycle. In fact, traveling long distances by motorcycle isn’t at all uncommon. Some bikers decide to travel the coasts, some like the winding routes found through wilderness and mountains, while others take long trips each year for Sturgis. There is truly no limit to the long routes to take as a motorcyclist that will bring about great sightseeing opportunities.
Before you head out on your lengthy travels, make sure that you are prepared accordingly. Although packing and preparing for a long trip on a bike isn’t necessarily simple, bikers with experience have figured it out. The checklist below is a great way to make sure you are fully ready to take off on your bike regardless of your destination.
- Have maintenance done to your bike and have it inspected by mechanics before the trip as well. Check the bulbs, brakes, fluids, tires and shocks, fuel and electrical systems, and have the valves calibrated as necessary.
- If you don’t already have them, purchase a GPS system and a tire plug kit with a pump and CO2 tire inflation system.
- Bring your helmet, earplugs, gloves, rain gear, eyewear protection, and other favored motorcycle accessories to keep you safe and comfortable as you travel.
- As you pack clothing, choose the most compact garments possible. Consider the length of your trip and the weather to pack accordingly. Essentials should include underwear, a jacket, socks, a couple pairs of pants, and some shirts. Bring laundry detergent pods in a Ziploc bag to wash clothes whenever you find the opportunity along your route.
- Bring extra bags, toiletries, a first aid kit, and prescriptions meds.
- Pack your tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, a pressure gauge, cords and straps, and other tools you may need to maintenance your bike.
- Make sure you have a set of spare keys, your license, insurance information, a paper map, cash and credit cards, and any other pertinent documents and necessities. Your phone, the charger and other phone accessories should also be packed and ready.
By following the checklist and preparing properly, you’ll find that your long-distance motorcycle ride will go on without many obstacles in your way. It’s vital to get ready for such a long trip on a bike appropriately. Aside from everything listed above, you should always have an adequate amount of cash and a set plan. Being fully prepared will make it easier to enjoy your trip.